Is There A Time Limit On Editing Posts

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by Gar1eth, Nov 22, 2010.

1. Gar1eth

Gar1eth Regent

I thought in the past I could pretty much edit a post anytime I wanted. Although I have to admit never trying it days later. Now there is a post 3 to 4 hours old and the edit choice on the post is not available.

Thanks for the help.

Gman

2. deej

deej Administrator

Yes, there is a time limit.

3. Gar1eth

Gar1eth Regent

Do you know what it is and if so-- could you share?

Gman

4. deej

deej Administrator

Based on your post it's probably less than 3-4 hours. :)

(Just looked...)

Currently set at two hours, but that number isn't locked in stone. It used to be unlimited but there was abuse followed by a request for a limit.

It could be argued that two hours is enough for you to correct your typos, and anything other than that warrants a new post to the thread.

5. I always had the (apparently mistaken) impression that it had to do with whether the post had been replied to or quoted. Glad to be corrected.

Kevin Slater

HornyRetiree likes this.
  6. deej

deej Administrator

I would actually prefer that but it isn't an option.

7. MikeBiDude

MikeBiDude Viscount

Old thread similar question...is there a time immediately after posting- where the "last edited" time stamp comment does NOT appear? I've seen posts recently get edited more than once in the first 5-10 minutes of initial posting time stamp, but the "last edited" comment doesn't appear. Eventually of course it does, but there seems to be a gap. I noticed one poster quickly editing a post multiple times after an initial post and this happened.

Just curious, very small in light of all good things we have here.

8. bigvalboy

bigvalboy Regent

I don't know...

but I love your new avatar. :D

MikeBiDude likes this.
  9. MikeBiDude

MikeBiDude Viscount

Thanks...throw me a PM someday I'll tell you about the avatar...