The Story Story

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion & War Issues' started by purplekow, Jan 9, 2017.

1. purplekow

purplekow Regent

I have mentioned in another thread, a quote which could lead to that thread being moved. To try to avoid that, I have started this thread here in the political forum should there be further discussion.

Republics are created by the virtue, public spirit, and intelligence of the citizens. They fall, when the wise are banished from the public councils, because they dare to be honest, and the profligate are rewarded, because they flatter the people, in order to betray them.

Joseph Story

2. bigjoey

bigjoey Marquess

Not sure why you are posting a quote that confirms the conservative point-of-view. Think a "wise" person who was banished (at the time) like Daniel Patrick Moynihan when he put out his report on "The Negro Family" that was an accurate forecast of things to come as he urged federal welfare laws that were destroying the Negro family to be change and he was ignored. Think the "profligate" being rewarded as demonstrated by the Clintons who monetized their public offices and were rewarded by going from "flat broke" to multi-millionaires. :) :)

Now I give the above how such a quote can be used by the right and the left to demonstrate its truth. To be balanced, a person from the left can point to many "wise" persons who were banished like Hillary Clinton who had many good policies and the "profligate" being rewarded like Donald Trump with his gold toilet.

What I do agree with is the first sentence but would add "sustained" to read: Republics are created and sustained by the virtue, public spirit, and intelligence of the citizens. The rest of the quote is open to who is "wise" and who is "profligate" which can easily be seen from different points-of-view as being totally opposite things.

Charlie likes this.